Mastodon The Writing Desk: Celtic Prayer

17 May 2011

Celtic Prayer




Deep peace of the running wave to you
As like the cool blue sea
Your true power and beauty
Is ever more revealed to me

Deep peace of the flowing air to you
As like the refreshing breeze
Your love renews my spirit
And makes me glad to be alive

Deep peace of the quiet earth to you
As like the reassuring earth
Your honesty and truth
Help me grow stronger

Deep peace of the shining stars to you
As like the brightest in the sky
You bring a sparkle to my life
And I will love you for eternity

Note:  This was inspired by composer John Rutter's (@johnmrutter who composed music for the wedding of William and Kate) choral work 'Deep Peace' (A Gaelic Blessing). I have requested consent to use it and his work is hereby fully acknowledged.  I have simply expanded each line of the first verse to create the Celtic Prayer.

You may like to listen to the original here:   


1 comment:

  1. This is beautiful Tony. I have long loved Celtic expressions of spirituality (the original Christianity of these Isles) which is passionate and sublime, but also celebrates the beautiful cosmos we live in. You have adapted this into a very elegant poem which manages to honour both the personal love experience as well as the more trascendent!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting