Mastodon The Writing Desk: A writer's week on twitter - travel writing

6 March 2011

A writer's week on twitter - travel writing

This week I’ve been looking at the world of travel writing.  There is definitely something different about visiting somewhere or going on a journey when you know you are going to be writing about it afterwards. 

It must also be true that travel can broaden your mind as a writer.  I know growing up in Africa has given me a very different perspective from people I know who have lived all their lives in Wales.

Wild Junkets

Nellie Huang (@WildJunket) is a freelance travel writer and adventure-seeker who describes herself as a ‘modern day nomad.”  Nellie’s blog Wild Junket has the subtitle ‘A rollercoaster ride of wild adventures around the world’ and is a great place to start if you want to see some great travel writing.  Nellie has also brought together one of the best pages of travel links you will find anywhere  - definitely worth exploring!

Quirky Traveller

Cumbria based Zoë Dawes (@quirkytraveller) offers something a bit different in her blog The Quirky TravellerI should declare an interest, I suppose, in that Cumbria is one of my favourite places in the world (see the English Lakes blog linked to from Zoë’s site)    Zoë  says “Quirky is about seeing life from a different angle, looking at things from all sides, finding the unusual, the interesting, the fascinating. It’s about quality combined with reality, it’s about being curious about everything and wanting to know more.”

Conn Voyage

Finally I'd like to introduce one of the nicest, most modest people I have met on twitter, Honk Kong based Connie Hum (@conniehum).  

Connie’s understated blog Connvoyage has a refreshing honesty - I’ll leave it to Connie to explain:

Traveling with only my wits, backpack, ukulele and TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) certification, I will engage in a variety of environmental and humanitarian projects and through Connvoyage, share with you the places I will see and live, the things I will discover and learn, the people I will encounter and befriend.

I want you to experience it with me! On this amazing voyage, I invite you, friends and family, avid travelers, adventure seekers, and other sufferers of wanderlust to be my CONNvoy around the world, to lend me support, offer me guidance and join me in whatever capacity you can as I navigate through the wonders of this beautiful place called Earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting