Mastodon The Writing Desk: Experimenting with AI Microsoft Designer for Generating Book Promotion Social Media Posts

26 August 2023

Experimenting with AI Microsoft Designer for Generating Book Promotion Social Media Posts


I admit to a wary fascination with the exponential developments we are seeing in AI (Artificial Intelligence), having studied it for my first degree many years ago.

Tools are now emerging which have the potential to force us to adapt in different ways. One of these which I welcome is to produce images to support social media posts.

I've recently been experimenting with Microsoft Designer, which takes a 'prompt', such as:

Create an animated Instagram post promoting the historical fiction book 'Essex - Tudor Rebel'. Use an Elizabethan style to evoke the adventurous spirit of the book.  

(This prompt was actually suggested by the AI after a couple of attempts by me, which were enough for it to 'understand' what I wanted.)

You can upload any images, such as your book cover - here's the original:

The software does the rest in a few seconds, offering a selection of design ideas:

You can select any of them to change the generated background images (such as a modern tarmac road) the wording, fonts and colours as you wish, then download the results:


I haven't spent much time but have tried asking for a 'Tudor house in the background':



I'm encouraged by the initial results and will experiment with my other books sometime.

Here's a link if you would like to have a go: https://designer.microsoft.com/

Tony Riches

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting